Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday, June 14th

The sun finally came out today! After a week of so-so weather, it's beginning to feel like summer. Of course, Commercial drive is crawling with people eating ice cream and buying fresh fruits and veggies (EVERYTHING here is organic, vegan, international, or locally grown). 
Yesterday was spent working in the community garden. One of the ministries here, is centered around this garden as a way to connect with the neighborhood and homeless. Our job was to weed.... 
Later that night, I had dinner with my roommates Anjali and Emmanuel. We've been learning a lot about our cultural differences and expectations. The biggest issue so far, was establishing a list of what foods were considered "community foods" (that is, shared by all of us). In the end, we ended up deciding that only condiments were to be shared because none of us eat the same foods!
Last night then, during dinner, I was introduced to the way they both eat chicken legs... Though I was a little timid, I was schooled in how to eat the meat, cartledge, and the bone. Gulp. Never eaten a bone before. 
Oh, one more thing, these are a few pictures of my bathroom. I found a bucket of yellow paint and decided to paint the bathroom yesterday. Cheers!


1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'm glad you get to enjoy a little sunshine!

The community garden idea is fantastic! When I went up to Washington last year I stumbled across one in near Seattle. It was my first experience and I think it's great I get to share in your experience a little too. Weeding was fun, eh?

What foods don't you eat that they eat? I thought you weren't very picky... How funny that condiments is what you guys landed on as the "community" food(s).

I dig the yellow!