Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Samaritan Woman


It's now 2009. 
So far, Nieu Communities has been a stretching experience. God has placed many challenges before me that have both shaped and opened my mind. During these last few months here, I have had the chance to work at ministry called JustPotters. It is a small business that is run from the basement of the church I attend. 
JustPotter's focus is to enable people on the margins (drug addicts, homeless, or people with mental or physical disabilities) to find employment and to re-integrate them in to normal life. It is a pottery studio that produces beautiful mugs, plates, and platters for local businesses and other customers. 
One thing I am learning, as I work alongside these rather rough-edged people, is how to love and accept them for who they are, not as "the homeless person" or the "drug addict." I think of Christ's interaction with the Samaritan woman in the gospel of John. To the rest of the world, the folks I work with represent the Samaritan woman. The person, back then, no jewish man wanted to interact with. 
There are many days, when Stephanie (a paranoid schizophrenic) clashes with Peter (a former homeless man) and I find myself between the two adults sorting out whatever the problem is. But on other days, I arrive at JustPotters and am greeted by Kathy (a mentally challenged woman with only three teeth) with such a warm hello, that I feel so blessed to be there. 
I look at these people and realize how quick I was to avoid them in the past, but here at JustPotters I am learning from them how to mold the clay and how to be at ease around so much hurt and anger. 
My housemate, Anjali, works with them as well. We decided early on that we wanted to be able to engage them outside of their "work time". A few weeks ago, we had them all over at our house for dinner. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I thought they might bring the same gruffness to the dinner table or that they may not like sitting so close to each other. Amazingly enough, after we prayed over the food, dinner went as smoothly as if you had your best friends over. We laughed and ate and talked for hours. At one point the rest of our housemates joined and we began discussing Christianity. 
Here again, I realized that I wasn't seeing them as equal human beings. I didn't trust that they could mind their manors or hold a pleasant conversation. In fact, I had expected the same impersonal vibe I often get, when I serve dinner at the homeless shelter here. Well, I was very wrong.
God has placed me in a very unique ministry. It is challenging me in very different ways than I expected!

No comments: